The dust has settled for another year on the Amazon Prime Day hype for 2021, and the numbers are in. We have data from both Amazon themselves as well as some insights from the Adobe Digital Economy Index.
The first and second day of Prime Day 2021 were the first and second days for most online spending in the U.S. respectively. The total U.S. online spend across retailers surpassed $11B ($5.6B on day 1; $5.4B on day 2), representing 6.1% growth compared to last year’s Prime Day total online revenue ($10.4B).
The Update From Amazon
Prime Day 2021 was the biggest two-day period ever for Amazon’s third-party sellers, nearly all of which are small and medium-sized businesses, growing even more than Amazon’s retail business. Prime members in 20 countries shopped more this Prime Day than any previous Prime Day and scored deep discounts across home, fashion, beauty, and electronics. Members purchased more than 250 million items worldwide and saved more than any Prime Day before.
“A huge thank you to all of the Amazon teams who made this Prime Day possible for members worldwide and to Prime members who supported small businesses in big ways,”
“Prime members are an important part of our Amazon family, and we love to celebrate them during Prime Day with incredible deals and entertainment, including this year’s Prime Day Show.”Dave Clark, CEO, Worldwide Consumer.
Prime Day Continues to Fuel Small Business Success
Amazon invests billions in the success of its selling partners, and the two weeks leading up to Prime Day 2021 were a boon for small business sellers with the Amazon-funded Spend $10, Get $10 promotion. Customers spent over $1.9 billion on more than 70 million small business products during the promotional period, more than a 100% year-over-year increase in sales compared to the Prime Day October 2020 promotion.
“We are thrilled to be working with Amazon; Prime Day is a resounding success for our small business,”
“We appreciate that Amazon is a partner who can help us succeed, and makes it simple for customers to find and purchase Mother’s Shea. Amazon enables us to reach an audience that would otherwise be difficult to reach on our own.”Naa-Sakle Akuete, Owner, Mother’s Shea, Brooklyn, New York.
“We’re blown away by Amazon’s Prime Day support for small business partners like Sheets & Giggles,”
“We saw an 800% increase in units sold on day one. We don’t have a large team or unlimited resources, so the concentrated exposure is something we couldn’t have done without Amazon’s Support Small campaign.”Colin McIntosh, CEO, Sheets & Giggles, Denver, Colorado.
Amazon Devices and Alexa
Members took advantage of incredible savings on Amazon Devices throughout Prime Day.
- Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote was the most popular item purchased during Prime Day with customers purchasing more Fire TV 4K streaming media players on Prime Day this year than any previous Prime Day.
- Customers purchased a record-setting number of Fire TVs, from brands including Toshiba and Insignia, during Prime Day and the two weeks leading up to this year’s event.
- Customers purchased hundreds of thousands of Amazon Fire tablets and Fire Kids tablets this Prime Day, including the all-new Fire HD 10 Tablet, Fire HD 8 Tablet, and Fire HD 8 Kids Tablet.
- In the days leading up to Prime Day, Alexa helped make shopping easier for tens of millions of customers, including by proactively finding deals on items in customers’ carts and enabling them to get important reminders.
Prime Day Trends
- Best-selling categories worldwide for Prime Day 2021 included tools, beauty, nutrition, baby care, electronics including Amazon Devices, apparel, and household products.
- Top-selling products worldwide for Prime Day 2021 included iRobot Roomba 692 Robot Vacuum, Keurig K-Slim Coffee Maker, Apple Cider Vinegar Gummy Vitamins by Goli Nutrition, and Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips.
- Prime members worldwide saved while gearing up for back to school purchasing more than 600,000 backpacks, 1 million laptops, 1 million headphones, 240,000 notebooks, 40,000 calculators, and 220,000 Crayola products.
- Tens of millions of customers viewed Prime Day product demonstrations and try-on hauls, heard directly from creators, and more during Amazon Live live streams throughout Prime Day.
Prime Day Best Sellers by Country
Members scored incredible deals on best-selling items in participating countries worldwide. Some of the top-selling deals from around the world, excluding Amazon Devices, included:
- United States: Waterpik Electric Water Flosser, Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder, 23andMe Health DNA Test, iRobot Roomba 692 Robot Vacuum, Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 Quart 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker
- United Kingdom: Shark Anti Hair Wrap Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, CeraVe SA Smoothing Cleanser, Jack Daniel’s Gentleman Jack Tennessee Whiskey
- United Arab Emirates: Fairy Lemon Dishwashing Liquid Soap, Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Dual SIM 128GB, Neutrogena Face Moisturizer Water Gel
- Turkey: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 inç Wi-Fi 2019 (Silver), Master Zacharius by Jules Verne (IsBank Cultural Publications Modern Classics – 110), SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Bellek
- Spain and Portugal: Finish Powerball All in 1 Max all-in-1 dishwasher tablets, Dodot Sensitive baby diapers, and Xiaomi Redmi Note 9T 5G smartphone.
- Singapore: Vita Coco Natural Coconut Water, Wolf Blass Red Label Australia Cabernet Merlot Red Wine, ENPHO Body Fat Scale Smart BMI Scale Digital Bathroom Wireless Weight Scale, Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc white wine, 750ml, SongHe Thai Fragrant Rice
- Saudi Arabia: Samsung Galaxy M12 Dual SIM Smartphone, Fairy Lemon Dish Washing Liquid Soap, Vaseline Body Lotion Essential Healing
- Netherlands: Oral-B Precision Clean Brush Heads with CleanMaximiser Technology, Pack of 10 Pieces, Robijn Detergent Small & Powerfull Color, SanDisk SDSQXA1 Extreme Micro SDXC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card with Adapter 128GB
- Mexico: Razer Kraken Tournament Edition, Maybelline Mascara lash sensational sky high, Eureka Blaze Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- Luxembourg: Beurer BR 60 Insektenstichheiler, zur Behandlung von Insektenstichen, Pampers Aqua Pure Baby Feuchttücher, BRITA Wasserfilter Marella weiß inkl. 12 MAXTRA+ Filterkartuschen
- Japan: Yakan-no-Mugicha (barley tea), ICY SPARK from CANADA DRY, and Jyokin JOY Compact Dishwashing Detergent Refill 1330mL
- Italy: Borbone Represso Coffee Capsules,“Omino Bianco” Liquid Sanitizing Washing Machine Detergent, Oral-B CrossAction Replacement Heads for Electric Toothbrush with CleanMaximiser Technology
- Germany and Austria: Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Android Tablet, Beurer BR 60 Insektenstichheiler, zur Behandlung von Insektenstichen, Tanqueray Blackcurrant Royale Distilled Gin
- France: Philips OneBlade replacement blades, Pampers Nappies, Oral-B CrossAction Toothbrush Head with CleanMaximiser Technology
- China: L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Zell Renaissance Face Care Set for Women, Olay Regenerist Luminous Skin Tone Perfecting Serum, Philips Sonicare Basic Clean Electric Toothbrush Replacement Heads
- Brazil: Positivo Smart Lamp, Heinz Tomato Sauce, OMO Washing Powder, Mondial Air Fryer
- Belgium: BRITA Wasserfilter Marella weiß inkl. 12 MAXTRA+ Filterkartuschen, Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, Android Tablet, Microsoft 365 Family 6 Nutzer Mehrere PCs/Macs, Tablets und mobile Geräte
- Australia: DualSense Wireless Controller – PlayStation 5, Bosch 91-Piece V-Line Titanium Drill Bit and Screwdriver Bit Set with Ratcheting Screwdriver, Panasonic AA Ready-To-Use Ni-MH Rechargeable Eneloop Batteries.
The Analysis From Adobe on Prime Day 2021
“U.S. retailers continued to benefit from strong shopping momentum on the second Prime Day, catapulting total online spend to $11 billion for both days. This is despite relatively muted discounts across most categories, suggesting that there’s a pent-up demand for online shopping as consumers look forward to a return to normalcy. The halo effect of Prime Day also played a significant role, giving both large and small online retailers significant revenue lifts at 29% and 21% respectively.”Taylor Schreiner, Director, Adobe Digital insights
Overall Prime Day (June 21 – 22) Scorecard for U.S. eCommerce
- Large Retailers Win Big but Small Retailers Are Catching Up as People Comparison Shop: Large retailers ( +$1B in annual online revenue) benefitted from a strong halo effect across Prime Day, seeing 29% eCommerce revenue lift over an average June day. Smaller retailers (less than $10M in annual online revenue) also saw their online sales increase by 21%
- Brick and Mortar Presence Gives Retailers an Edge: Conversion for retailers that offer BOPIS saw a 10% boost in conversion compared to an average June day. Retailers that do not offer BOPIS only saw their conversion increase by 3%, which suggests that BOPIS has become a go-to option for consumers
- Discount Levels Are Comparable Across Both Days: Discount levels were consistent across both days. Discounts for Toys (12%) and Appliances (5%) remained the strongest. Categories that saw smaller discounts: Televisions (3%), Sporting goods (1%) and Electronics (2%). Computers saw discounts weaken to 6% on day two vs. 8% on day one
- Average Online Revenue Lift Across U.S. at 143% (compared to an average June day): Wyoming (170%), Rhode Island (165%), and Iowa (164%) saw the biggest lifts in online spend across Prime Day while Alabama (112%), Nebraska (120%) and North Dakota (126%) showed the least gains
- Successful Email Campaigns Are Key: Email (161%) and affiliate (163%) channels saw the biggest increase in revenue driven during Prime Day, while Social Networks and Paid Search saw smaller increases at 106% and 132% respectively
- As Adobe previously forecasted, total U.S. online revenue across both days of Prime Day surpassed last year’s online revenue for Cyber Monday ($10.9B), which is the largest U.S. online shopping day on record
How was Prime Day for you and your business? Either let us know in the comments below or over in our Facebook group.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter Today
Stay in touch with the latest business insights for your online business
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime
Connect With Us And Other Small Business Owners
Please head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.