Canada Post announced new shipping rates that will go into effect on January 14, 2019.
The rate increases average 4.1 percent for domestic parcel services and 2 percent for US and International parcel services.
Also, Canada Post is making changes and fee adjustments to mailing options:
- Introduction of Signature as a service feature to Xpresspost-International
- Introduction of new 1.5 kg and 2.0 kg weight steps for Tracked Packet – USA and Small Packet – USA
- Price reductions on items originating from Yukon, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories
- Changes to features, options and surcharge prices:
- Signature option fee will increase to $1.75
- Proof of Age fee will increase to $3
- Mailing Tube surcharge will increase to $2
- Oversize and Unpackaged price will be $12 per item
- A surcharge of $100 for items that exceed the maximum size or weight specifications
Canada Post Statement on Rate Increases
“While usage varies, the impact of the first increase since 2014 would be less than a dollar a year for the average Canadian household and about $14 per year for the typical small business.”
Obviously, small online business will see a much greater impact on their shipping expenses.
And with the recent rotating strikes, many may have switched to other carriers already as the Canadian postal service is trying to dig itself out of the backlog.
What is your take on the rate increases from Canada Post? Please use the comments section below or head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.