Canada Post is committed to achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and is currently taking measures to support Canadians and Canadian businesses in making environmentally conscious shipping decisions.
As part of this effort, all ground shipments of Domestic Regular Parcel, Expedited Parcel, and flat-rate boxes through Canada Post are now being shipped in a carbon-neutral manner.
Canada Post offsets every tonne of greenhouse gas emissions produced by their domestic ground delivery services by purchasing high-quality, accredited carbon offsets of an equivalent amount, thereby making them carbon-neutral.
Small businesses and consumers can use Canada Post’s “Find a rate” tool to determine the greenhouse gas emissions linked with their deliveries and select shipping options that align with their requirements and preferences. Carbon-neutral shipping is available at no extra cost.
Canadian Carbon Offset Projects
When selecting offset projects, Canada Post gives priority to nature-based initiatives owned or led by Canada’s Indigenous communities.
One such initiative is the Great Bear Forest Carbon Project, which Canada Post supports. This project works to safeguard forests against logging, preserve and expand existing carbon reserves, and mitigate emissions stemming from activities like harvesting, road construction, and other forestry operations.
The Great Bear Forest Carbon Project is entirely owned by a unique alliance of First Nations, providing employment opportunities for the future while safeguarding the Great Bear Rainforest.
These carbon offset purchases are recognized by the BC Carbon Registry under the Forest Carbon Offset Protocol, and verified by an independent third party to ensure carbon removal is real, permanent, and additional.
Canada Post’s carbon offset acquisitions are recognized by the BC Carbon Registry through the Forest Carbon Offset Protocol and validated by an independent third party to confirm the authenticity, permanence, and supplementary nature of carbon removal.
It should be noted that carbon offsets utilized for carbon-neutral shipping do not contribute towards the Corporation’s goals of reducing emissions.
Canada Post – The Road to Net Zero
Canada Post remains dedicated to achieving absolute reductions in emissions. As the Corporation advances towards net-zero emissions, the reliance on carbon offsets for carbon-neutral shipping will decrease progressively. The company’s commitments and climate initiatives encompass:
- Climate targets approved by the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi). These targets encompass reducing operational emissions by 50% by 2030 and achieving net-zero emissions across the Corporation’s value chain by 2050.
- Electrification of Canada’s Post’s fleet of 14,000 vehicles by 2040 (50% electric by 2030).
- Implementing measures to green its real estate portfolio, including constructing new net-zero facilities, retrofitting existing buildings, and implementing energy-efficient upgrades.
- Procuring renewable energy in provinces with the highest emissions in Canada and collaborating with energy suppliers to establish new renewable energy projects.
- Canada Post is committed to reducing emissions throughout its value chain and collaborating with suppliers and subsidiaries to set science-based emission targets by 2025.
To learn more about Canada Post’s initiatives to cut down on emissions and reduce its footprint, follow this link here.
If you liked this article and would like to engage with other small business entrepreneurs selling on marketplaces, join our . You can also find us on , , , and or sign up for our newsletter below.
SIGN UP. BE INSPIRED. GROW YOUR BUSINESS.
We do not sell your information. You can unsubscribe at any time.