DoorDash Launches Package PickUp Service Making Returns More Convenient
DoorDash had entered the reverse logistics space (fancy term for returns), offering to pick up packages from consumers and deliver them to their local carrier.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
The new service makes returning packages even more convenient for consumers. They can request a Dasher (DoorDash driver) to pick up their prepaid return package(s) from their home, who will then drop off the return(s) at their local carrier, including UPS, FedEx, and USPS.
Right now is the busiest time of the year for returns, and with many consumers back at work, time at home is short, and using one of the carrier’s pick-up services usually means being home.
“We are excited to introduce Package Pickup as a seamless and efficient offering for those looking to make returns during the busy post-holiday season and throughout the year,” said Gagan Gupta, Product Manager at DoorDash.
“The extensibility of our platform allows us to power all local commerce and local delivery needs, with this newest offering enabling us to meet time-starved shoppers wherever they are.”
How DoorDash Package PickUp Works
- Select the Packages hub on the top of the DoorDash homepage and select the carrier (i.e. UPS, USPS, FedEx) that corresponds to the package(s) being returned sending. Alternatively, users can type “package” into the search bar for easy access.
- Get the package(s) ready — up to 5 total per delivery — and attach a prepaid shipping label. If the online merchant provided a QR code, it can be sent to the Dasher in the DoorDash app, no printer or box for the returning item(s) required.
- Request a package pickup. A Dasher will be offered and assigned to pick up the package(s) quickly.
- The Dasher will send the consumer a confirmation photo after dropping off the package(s) at the designated store.
For a flat fee of $5 ($3 for DashPass members), consumers can get up to 5 packages picked up and dropped off in the same Package Pickup request.
DoorDash Package Pickup for Merchants?
While DoorDash launched this new service focusing on consumers, it seems that merchants who may have a difficult customer and want to ensure a convenient and customer friendly door to door return solution could use the service to pick up a return and have it dropped off at the local carrier near the customer’s home.
Alternatively, online merchants and marketplace sellers could also reimburse the customer for the $5 fee to pick up the return from their home at their convenience.
This new service from DoorDash is their latest expansion to go beyond food delivery and expand their offering to include local courier-style services for almost any product.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.