On eBay, a pair of sneakers is sold every 1.5 seconds and with this category being so popular, the online marketplace is expanding its Authenticity Guarantee to U.S. buyers.
Check Out These Resources
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Take a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits. [sponsored]
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- Could your online business use capital for growth? Here is a primer on revenue-based loans, and how they work.
Through this program, all new and pre-owned collectible sneakers sold on eBay for over $100 in the U.S. will be fully vetted and verified by an independent team of industry experts.
The service launches this month with the initial authentication of the most popular sneaker styles and brands on the marketplace, and will ramp up to include all $100+ sneaker sales by early 2021.
This marks the company’s second significant authentication announcement in as many months. In September, eBay first launched its Authenticity Guarantee for every watch sold for over $2,000 in the U.S.
The announcement also builds on eBay canceling selling fees on any sneakers purchase of $100 or more, which has helped attract more top sneaker sellers and bring the most coveted inventory to the marketplace at the most competitive prices.
“Authentication has become an expectation for today’s consumers in categories of high passion and high value, and this program makes eBay the most attractive platform for enthusiasts in these categories,” said Jordan Sweetnam, SVP and General Manager of eBay North America.
“eBay operates the world’s most diverse sneaker marketplace – with the widest selection and best prices – and by removing any uncertainty with the buying process, our community can buy and sell with total confidence.”
How eBay Authenticity Guarantee Works
When a sneakers purchase is made, the seller ships it directly to the company’s independent third-party authentication facility for a comprehensive, multipoint physical inspection.
Following this rigorous assessment, the sneakers are sent via expedited shipping to the buyer. Additional details include:
- Proof of Authentication: Upon receiving the sneakers, the independent authenticator confirms they are consistent with the listing title, description, and images, and then performs a multipoint physical authentication inspection. An eBay tag, guaranteeing its authenticity, is attached to the sneakers to finalize the process, driving confidence in the collectibility and resale value.
- Third-Party Authentication: eBay has partnered with industry leader Sneaker Con to create a new state-of-the-art facility – leveraging the top authenticators in the industry, a robust checklist of product specifications, and best-in-class processes to ensure accuracy and efficiency. With the rigorous inspection of the box, shoe, and accessories, the authentication underscores its commitment to giving shoppers exactly what they want.
- Verified Returns: For sellers who choose to offer returns, eBay’s sneaker authentication program ensures the exact item initially sold is returned to the seller, via a verified returns process. Returns are shipped back directly to the authentication center, where the third-party experts verify each item and its condition before returning it to the seller.
In 2019, over six million sneakers were sold in North America on the eBay marketplace platform. This new authenticity program should grow this category for the company as buyers gain additional confidence the sneakers they are buying are genuine products.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.