eBay UK Launches ‘Imperfects’ Fashion Initiative Ahead of Earth Day 2022
As shoppers look to reduce their fashion spending and environmental footprint, eBay UK has launched Imperfects – the fashion equivalent to supermarkets’ wonky veg initiative, which was established in a bid to cut food waste.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
eBay’s Imperfects range offers clothes, shoes and accessories which is considered new, but with defects, from over 100 high-street and high-end designers including North Face, Off White, Puma, Fila, and Timberland at up to 60% off.
Imperfect items may include defects such as a small scuff or mark, a button missing or a loose thread that may have been from the factory or are ex-display which means they can’t be sold at full price as they did not meet the manufacturer’s strict quality standards.
All imperfections are clearly labeled in the listing with accompanying photos so customers know exactly what they are getting. Imperfects purchases also come with free shipping and 30-day returns, with a money-back guarantee so customers can shop with peace of mind.
Launching this week to mark Earth Day (22nd April) and at a time when 13 million items of clothing go to landfills every week, eBay is encouraging shoppers to invest in their planet.
New data from the marketplace has found UK shoppers are becoming increasingly conscious. As they look for ways to save both money and the planet, searches for ‘preloved clothes’ have multiplied 9x in the last year and searches for ‘used dress’ are up by 156% (Internal eBay Data).
The online marketplace’s global 2022 Recommerce Report, discovered that while financial reasons remain the primary motivator, 42% of eBay buyer respondents also cited environmental concerns and a hope to reduce waste, making Imperfects the perfect destination for those looking for a kinder way to shop.
“With growing financial pressures and the climate crisis continuing to be at the forefront of consumers’ minds, we’re proud to launch Imperfects as another avenue to help keep fashion items out of landfill[s].”Jemma Tadd, Head of Fashion at eBay UK
“It’s often the fashion items that may have not made the ‘cut’ and failed quality assurance checks – as a result customers would not have had the opportunity to purchase the items. eBay is providing a platform for these items to be given a second chance, and be sold, despite their imperfections,” she explained.
“Since 1995, eBay has embraced the power of people coming together to do good, whether that’s through selling their things to give them a second life, or now opting for Imperfects – this is another way shoppers can easily do their bit,” Tadd added.
eBay by The Numbers
- All part of eBay’s ongoing efforts to reduce fashion sent to landfills, in 2021, it helped save over 17,770 tons of fashion items out of landfills – the equivalent of 1,404 double-decker buses.
- Two pre-loved items are sold every second and one refurbished tech item is sold every 10 seconds on eBay.
- As well as mindful buying and selling to help the planet, eBay’s community has also helped over 200 social enterprises to grow their impact in communities across the country, through purchasing from forward-thinking businesses committed to doing good. £38m has also been raised for charities in 2021 via donations on the website and initiatives designed to help charitable causes.
- Located within eBay’s Brand Outlet hub, with Imperfects, shoppers can check out any imperfections on the product alongside the description and grab up to 50% off on a selection of brands. An Imperfects purchase also offers free shipping and 30-day returns, with a money-back guarantee.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Editorial Note: This post is from a Company Press Release and may have been modified for clarity.