Today eBay kicked off its first of seven global eBay Connect Developer events starting with the first one at its San Jose headquarters.
The yearly developer conferences allow eBay third party vendors to learn more about the eBay API ecosystems new and updated features. Attendees also get a chance to interact with eBay product leaders to improve their apps.
During the San Jose event, eBay announced two new APIs that will help developers design new features for their customers. This is in addition to many new APIs introduced last fall.
NEW TAXONOMY API IMPROVES PRODUCT CATEGORIES
The new Taxonomy API enables developers to create apps that assist buyers and sellers.
Sellers may gain new ways to determine the best category for listing their products. The new function may allow sellers to select best categories for campaigns or promotions. The goal is to help sellers place items in the right category to provide maximum exposure to the seller’s items.
Buyers may see improved category selection when browsing or searching for products on third party eBay buying apps. Developers can present buyers with a full category tree to drill down search results.
NEW BUY MARKETING API PROVIDES DEVELOPERS WITH BEST-SELLING PRODUCTS DATA
Developers can utilize the new Buy Marketing API to give sellers best selling products information in a category, ranked by product demand metrics. Potentially app developers can help sellers find best products to list right within their apps.
NEW FEATURES ARE BEING ADDED TO EXISTING APIs
- Browse API – Buyer-driven search enhanced by providing more filters.
- Inventory API – A migration tool that provides a retail-standard inventory model for seller’s listings.
- Sell Marketing API – For the Promotions Manager capability, developers can choose inventory by category and other criteria. Also, a new reporting capability that enables sellers to use APIs to get performance reports for their promotions.
- Sell Marketing API – For the Promoted Listings capability, developers can get asynchronous performance reports for their promoted listings.
EBAY ALSO PROVIDED SOME STATS ABOUT THEIR API USAGE
In the first quarter of 2017, third party developers used their public sell APIs to:
- Create more than 800M new listings in Q1
- Manage about 4x that numberDrive more than $4.2B GMV globally
- Trading API call volume for 3P apps: 46B
- Trading API call volume for eBay apps (excluding 3Ps): 106B
- eBay Dev Program has more than 362K registered members
All new and improved APIs are available now in the eBay Developer Program. Some regional or site restrictions may apply.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME AS AN EBAY SELLER?
For the average eBay Marketplace seller, this means your favorite listing tool may see some exciting new improvements soon.
It appears eBay wants to continue to grow its seller base and make it easier to sell on the platform. They are investing a lot time and effort to provide third party developers with the tools necessary to provide innovative selling experiences.
In turn, this should boost your productivity and hopefully increase your sales and profits.