Etsy is dedicated to preserving the distinctiveness, individuality, and security of the platform as its community as its community continues to grow.
Check Out These Resources
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Take a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits. [sponsored]
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- Could your online business use capital for growth? Here is a primer on revenue-based loans, and how they work.
As a result, the company intends to continue investing more than $50 million into its trust and safety initiatives in 2023. Etsy says they understand ensuring adherence to policies is critical to sellers, and therefore, the company is concentrating on several key areas this year, including:
Etsy’s objective is to provide more transparency on what products can and cannot be sold on the platform, while strictly enforcing its policies. This will enable the marketplace to showcase the exceptional, one-of-a-kind, and expertly crafted goods that sellers offer on the platform.
Furthermore, Etsy will step up to eliminate counterfeit items and listings that do not conform to its Handmade Policy. The company intends to enhance the precision of its automated technology to swiftly detect and eliminate listings that are not appropriate for Etsy.
Additionally, Etsy will allocate more resources to the teams and individuals responsible for investigating policy violations. The company is also committed to permanently removing shops that consistently violate its policies from the platform.
Etsy aims to simplify the process for sellers to challenge policy decisions and obtain prompt solutions. Although the marketplace trusts its policy violation detection tools, it acknowledges that errors can occur.
Thus, Etsy has recently introduced an improved appeals center that allows sellers to seek a review and reassessment of eligible account suspensions by the Trust & Safety team. The new process has resulted in a 17% rise in seller satisfaction with the appeals process, Etsy claims.
Etsy also intends to communicate swiftly with merchants who violate its policies, keeping them informed of the measures the company is taking and the reasons behind them. Additionally, Etsy will take proactive steps to enhance seller education and improve the comprehension of Etsy’s policies.
And lastly, Etsy strives to simplify the process for sellers to review and revise their personal and business information, which enables the company to ensure the safety of its community and minimize instances of fraud.
Etsy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive marketplace, and the company is constantly working to improve the experience for its sellers. In 2023, the company has several plans in store, outlined in its most recent Seller Handbook article.
Etsy Trust & Safety
This year, Etsy will continue to invest in and focus on Trust & Safety. The company is committed to creating a safe and welcoming environment for everyone on its platform, and the company believes that transparency is essential to achieving this goal.
That’s why Etsy publishes an annual Transparency Report, which provides a detailed overview of its Trust & Safety efforts. The 2022 Transparency Report includes information on a wide range of topics, including:
- Content policy enforcement: Etsy removed four times as many listings of harmful content from its platform in 2022 than in 2021.
- Intellectual property takedowns: In April 2022, Etsy launched the Etsy Reporting Portal, a new tool that makes it easier for rights owners and their representatives to report potential intellectual property infringement on the Etsy marketplace.
- Order issues: Last year, Etsy’s team also resolved cases on average in 14 hours or faster, as fewer cases were opened in 2022. In 2021, it took the team an average of 4.5 days to resolve a case.
- Customer support: Etsy launched a new live chat support in its Help Center in 2022. As of November 2022, all Etsy sellers with a listing can access 24/7 live chat support for most support topics.
“Over the next few months, we’ll continue to share updates on the progress we’re making together,” said Corinne Haxton Pavlovic, VP, Trust & Safety at Etsy. “All of this work helps to ensure that Etsy remains a marketplace where creativity, authenticity, and diversity thrives.”
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.