Etsy Releases May 2021 Categories and Item Attributes Update
Etsy has released a categories and item attributes update for May. The company occasionally updates categories and item attributes that enable sellers to classify their products better, making it easier for buyers to find the items they are looking for on the platform.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
New Accessories Categories
Etsy added a few new categories under Accessories including Hair Chains & Headpieces, Hair Beads & Cuffs, Hair Rings & Charms, Headbands, and Turbans.
New attributes for Type, Form, and Flavor for Tea
Etsy added a variety of new descriptive attributes that can be added to listings in the Tea category including: Tea type: Black, Chai, Green, Herbal, Matcha, Oolong, Pu-erh, Rooibos, White, and Yerba mate Tea form: Loose, Bag, Compressed, Blooming, and Powder Tea flavor: Earthy, Floral, Fruity, Grassy, Malty, Smoky, Spicy, Sweet, Tart, and Toasty.
New attributes for Gemstone Category
Etsy added new Gemstone types to the existing Gemstones attribute including: Agate, Amazonite, Amber, Chalcedony, Chrysocolla, Iolite, Jasper, Labradorite, Malachite, Moissanite, Tiger’s Eye, and Tourmaline. We’ve also added a new attribute you can use to indicate whether or not a stone is polished.
New Racquet Sport Type Attribute
When listing items in the Racquet Sports category sellers can now add new descriptive attributes to specify the sport type including Pickleball, Racquetball, Squash, Table tennis, and Tennis.
New Yoga Equipment Type Attribute
Sellers can now add an attribute describing the type of Yoga equipment they’re listing including Ball, Block, Bolster, Mat, Mat strap, and Practice strap.
New Categories Tailored to Sellers in India
Etsy added new categories to support the growing seller community in India. The company is automatically moving some relevant listings to these new categories to make them easier for shoppers to find. Sellers can update their listing categories at any time. Here’s what’s new:
New Clothing Categories
- New categories including Kurtas & Kurtis, Kurta Sets, Lehengas, Sarees, and Salwar Kameez. Etsy removed the Saree category from Dresses and made it its own category.
New Home & Living Categories
- New categories for Diyas, Dohars, and Thalis & Thali Sets.
New Jewelry Categories
- New categories for listing Hand Chains, Jhumkas, and Chandbalis.
New Toys & Games Categories
- New categories for Cricket and Field Hockey.
New Accessories Categories
- New Accessories categories including Dupattas, Maang Tikkas, and Matha Pattis.
New Bollywood Attribute Option
- Attributes are descriptive labels sellers can add to their listings on Etsy and the company added Bollywood as an option for the following attributes: Home graphic, Clothing graphic, and Art subject.
New Pants Attribute Option
- New options to the Pants style attribute: Churidar, Dhoti, Lungi, Palazzo, Patiala, Salwar, and Sharara.
New Jacket Attribute Option
- New options to the Jacket style attribute: Nehru and Sherwani.
New Fabric Technique Attribute
- New options sellers can use to describe the decorative technique used on Fabric and Clothing listings: Appliqué, Bandhani, Batik, Block print, Boro, Chikankari, Dyed, Embroidered, Kantha, Phulkari, Quilted, Ruched, Sashiko, Shibori, and Zardozi.
The Etsy May category and attributes update is one of the larger ones. Sellers that may have missed previous updates can check out the full list of categories and sub-categories available on the Etsy Marketplace here. Sellers can also learn more about how best to use categories and attributes from the Etsy Seller Handbook.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.