FedEx Office in collaboration with Ford Pro is piloting ten Ford E-Transit vans across its FedEx SameDay City network in the United States.
Check Out These Resources
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Take a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits. [sponsored]
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- Could your online business use capital for growth? Here is a primer on revenue-based loans, and how they work.
The test is part of FedEx’s goal to convert all pickup and delivery vehicles to zero tailpipe emission vehicles by 2040.
The FedEx SameDay City service operated by FedEx Office provides door-to-door delivery of time-sensitive parcels within hours in 34 metro areas with real-time notifications.
The electric vans are being tested in nine cities coast-to-coast to assess performance in different road and weather conditions: Chandler (AZ), Newark (CA), Boca Raton (FL), Clearwater (FL), Plantation (FL), Chicago (IL), Madison Heights (MI), Allen (TX), and Frisco (TX).
With a 126-mile range on a single charge, the Ford E-Transit van is a perfect vehicle option for local courier deliveries. In addition to charging stations installed at each van’s home location, FedEx Office will supplement remote charging stations along courier routes as needed.
“The EV market for commercial vehicles now has more options than ever before, enabling FedEx Office to explore different sustainable vehicle technologies to incorporate into our fleet as FedEx works to electrify its entire parcel pickup and delivery fleet by 2040.”Brian Philips, president and CEO of FedEx Office
“FedEx SameDay City is a perfect use-case for testing the capabilities of the Ford E-Transit. With the vehicle’s range and the availability of charging infrastructure, we are excited to see how this vehicle performs in our operation and helps us understand the path forward to scale an electrification strategy for FedEx Office,” added Phillips.
FedEx has set an ambitious goal of achieving global carbon neutral operations by 2040 which includes the use of all-electric, zero-tailpipe emissions vehicles for parcel pickup and delivery.
FedEx Office First Division To Test Ford E-Transit Vans
FedEx Office is the first FedEx division to test the Ford E-Transit for the company and it will help FedEx Office better understand how to transition to electric transportation operations.
“We are thrilled FedEx Office selected E-Transit as the test battery electric vehicle for FedEx SameDay City. Ford Pro’s advancements in technology and work-ready electric products will help companies like FedEx improve productivity, lower ownership cost and accelerate a carbon emissions-free future.”Tim Baughman, general manager Ford Pro North America
Aside from the Ford E-Transit, the FedEx SameDay Bot by Roxo is also being developed for last-mile delivery on the same day.
With eCommerce volumes continuing to rise, Roxo could make same-day, last-mile delivery a reality while reducing street traffic and emissions, thereby revolutionizing shipping and logistics.
FedEx Office is taking significant steps to advance its environmental stewardship by reducing emissions, replacing outdated technologies, and modernizing its facilities.
In the fiscal year 2021 (June 2020-May 2021) these initiatives resulted in:
- Sustainable Paper Purchases: 99.8% of all paper purchased by FedEx Office were sourced from third-party certified sustainable forest programs.
- Recycling Programs: 9.4M pounds of paper, 15K pounds of print consumables, 10.6K pounds of styrene and in a new program in fiscal year 2022 about 38k toner cartridges recycled.
- Conserving Energy: The Energy Management System and LED lighting used at FedEx Offices saved 52.2M kWH of electricity and 37K metric tons of CO2 (equivalent to the annual CO2 emissions of 8,000 cars).
Recently, FedEx Office introduced the Ford E-Transit to team members in participating markets through a canned food drive for local food banks and women’s shelters.
Team members from 60 FedEx Office stores and the corporate headquarters participated in the food drive collecting hundreds of reusable tote bags filled with donated items.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.