Today at 10am, the House Judiciary Committee, lead by Virginia Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte, will hold a hearing titled “Examining the Wayfair decision and its Ramifications for Consumers and Small Businesses.”
The committee is getting feedback from some folks in the retail and online industry on how the US Supreme Court decision on sales tax will impact the businesses and consumers.
Scheduled to give testimony today are:
- Grover Norquist, President, Americans for Tax Reform
- Chad White, Owner, Class-Tech-Cars, Inc.
- Lary Sinewitz, Executive Vice President, BrandsMart on behalf of the National Retail Federation
- Bartlett Cleland, General Counsel and Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer, American Legislative Exchange Council
- The Honorable Curt Bramble, Past President, National Conference of State Legislatures
- Andrew Moylan, Executive Vice President, National Taxpayers Union Foundation
- Joseph Crosby, Principal, MultiState Associates Incorporated
- Andrew Pincus, Partner, Mayer Brown
From this list, only Chad White seems to really represent micro and small online businesses, which are mostly affected by this ruling.
Chad is an eBay seller that eBay itself profiled a few years ago in a YouTube video.
First Steps Toward Congressional Intervention
While it is good to see the first steps being taken by Congress to look into the new world of online sales tax since the High Court’s decision to change Nexus from physical presence to the nebulous meaning of “undue burden,” a little more representation of the group that is actually tasked to collect these taxes for states should have been considered.
For those that want to follow along today on the hearing, here is the YouTube link for when it goes live. After the hearing, this link should also have the replay.
We love to hear your comments on this story. Please head over to our Global eCommerce Facebook Discussion Group or use the comments section below.