Amazon UK said today Prime Day 2018 was the busiest shopping event of the year so far and over the 36 hour Prime Day period millions of products were purchased.
Prime members enjoyed more time to shop and more time to save than ever before as this year’s Prime Day was extended to 36 hours – offering a day and a half of epic deals.
Prime Day 2018 also marked the introduction of Prime Day Launches – never-before-seen new and limited edition items available exclusively to Prime members on Amazon.co.uk before anywhere else in the UK.
During Amazon Prime Day 2018, some of the most popular items purchased on Amazon.co.uk included Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, Finish Dishwasher Tablets and the Bosch Cordless Drill.
“Prime Day was created to say thank you to our customers and has become an epic shopping event that Prime members in the UK look forward to each year. The event is now so popular with Prime members that Prime Day 2018 became Amazon’s busiest shopping event of the year so far here in the UK. Hundreds of small and medium-sized businesses also experienced success on Prime Day with some of our most popular deals purchased from sellers.”
Doug Gurr, UK Country Manager, Amazon
Highlights from Prime Day 2018
- Prime Day 2018 was the busiest shopping event of the year so far on Amazon.co.uk with millions of items ordered
- The best-selling Amazon device was Echo Dot
- Other best sellers included Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, Finish Dishwasher Tablets, the Bosch Cordless Drill, Andrex Supreme Quilt toilet roll and The Greatest Showman (DVD)
- Millions of Prime members shopped during Prime Day in the UK
- Customers purchased more than:
- More than 500,000 toys
- More than 65,000 sets of headphones
- More than 190,000 pet products
- More than 287,000 items of clothing
- More than 400,000 beauty products
- More than 248,000 lawn and garden products
- More than 59,000 sports tech items
- One of the fastest Prime Now orders during the 2018 Prime Day event contained an Amazon Echo and was received in 16 minutes from click to delivery in South Yorkshire
- Members found deals organised by 35 of the most-shopped-for interests. The most popular interests on Prime Day were electronics, fitness, outdoors and entertainment
- For the first time a great selection of styles from Amazon Fashion private brands including find. and Truth & Fable were available as Prime Day deals, with popular items including summer dresses, sandals and denim styles
- Best-selling Prime Day Launches – exclusive new products and offers from established and emerging brands available for a limited time over Prime Day (and beyond), included Sennheiser Headphones, the HTC Desire Phone, and the new-generation TicWatch.
- Best selling products purchased from our selling partners on Prime Day include the Anker Soundcore 2 Bluetooth speaker, AncestryDNA Genetic Testing kit and the VonShef food processor
Shining a Spotlight on Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
Small and medium-sized businesses put their passions and unique skill sets on display this Prime Day.
Prime members in UK purchased products from hundreds of entrepreneurs, artisans and sellers, further proving that they are an invaluable part of the Amazon family.
Products from these unique businesses increase variety, selection and contribute to the ever-expanding inventory available to Prime members worldwide.
Feedback From SMEs in The UK includes:
“We love taking part in Prime Day and this year has been the best event yet. The buzz and excitement among Prime members creates a fantastic trading environment for businesses like ours and as each year passes, we’re seeing a sharper rise in demand for our products from customers both here in the UK and around the world.It’s a highlight in our calendar and gives us a timely boost for the second half of the year, when we hope to continue investing in our business and create more jobs.”
Amer Khan, love2sleep, Manchester
And a seller from Newcastle says:
“Prime Day is fast becoming our favourite day of the year. It gives businesses like ours a real boost in terms of sales ahead of a busy summer period. It’s events like Prime Day that help us to increase our turnover, achieve higher profits and ultimately invest in our business, creating more jobs for the local community. Because of our Prime Day boost, we’re very well positioned for the second half of the year and we’re already looking forward to next year’s event.”
William Johnson, Torro Cases, Newcastle
Unlike the U.S. site, the UK site did not experience any outage problems at the start of Prime Day.
But Amazon did report yesterday with about 11 hours to go that “Small and Medium-Sized Businesses Worldwide Have Exceeded More Than $1 Billion in Sales on Amazon…”
If you sold on Amazon, how did your sales perform on Prime Day? Head over to our Facebook Discussion Group or use the comments section below.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter Today
Stay in touch with the latest business insights for your online business
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime
Connect With Us And Other Small Business Owners
Please head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.