Poshmark, a leading social marketplace for new and secondhand style, today announced it has been named to Fortune’s 2022 Change the World list for promoting sustainability and helping to keep items in circulation and out of landfills.
Check Out These Resources
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Take a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits. [sponsored]
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- Could your online business use capital for growth? Here is a primer on revenue-based loans, and how they work.
“Poshmark has empowered millions of people to establish their own businesses through selling secondhand. Our impact is a direct result of our community of sellers, and how they are making the fashion system more connected, circular, and sustainable,” said Manish Chandra, Founder, and CEO of Poshmark.
“By providing an all-in-one platform to simplify the secondhand shopping experience, Poshmark makes it easy, simple, and fun to participate in the circular economy.”
As a leading social marketplace for secondhand goods, Poshmark has kept more than 200 million items in circulation across the categories of apparel, pets, home, electronics, and more, all while serving as a source of income for millions of independent sellers.
In 2021, their gross merchandise value increased 27% to $1.8 billion, pointing to the increased interest in buying and selling secondhand goods, particularly among millennial and Gen Z audiences.
Poshmark Sustainability Rewarded
To further extend the lifespan of items, Poshmark introduced the Reposh feature in 2020, which allows users to efficiently relist an item purchased on Poshmark. Since unveiling the feature, sellers have Reposhed 4.5 million listings, and the number of items Reposhed since launch has increased 57% on a year-over-year basis.
The Change the World list recognizes companies that have had a positive social impact through activities that are part of their core business strategy. Fortune asses nominees on the following factors:
- Measurable social impact: The reach, nature, and durability of the company’s impact on one or more specific societal problems.
- Business results: The benefit the socially impactful work brings to the company. Profitability and contribution to shareholder value outweigh benefits to the company’s reputation.
- Degree of innovation: How innovative the company’s effort is relative to that of others in its industry and whether other companies have followed its example or partnered with it.
Each year, FORTUNE recognizes companies that have made a measurable impact on some of the most pressing social and environmental issues globally.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.