Royal Mail and Ford partnered on a trial in Manchester using Ford’s routing software to find if it could help Royal Mail to increase its foot-based deliveries of larger parcels in urban areas.
Check Out These Resources
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Take a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits. [sponsored]
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- Could your online business use capital for growth? Here is a primer on revenue-based loans, and how they work.
- The object of the trial was to have fewer delivery vehicles in urban areas support multiple posties on different foot-based routes, making delveries of large packages more efficient and climate friendly.
- Ford’s software would identify safe and convenient locations for the handover of parcels to the postmen and postwomen. Posties used a smartphone app showing the location of the van while also providing the most efficient routes for delivering parcels.
- The process maintained human interaction at the time of delivery, while also resulting in fast and efficient deliveries.
- Reduced CO2 emissions: The use of vans for the delivery routes in the test decreased by 50% while daily vehicle mileage declined 33%. These reductions also reduced the carbon footprint of deliveries which is a big push for the company as it continuously seeks and deploys new technologies to reduce the CO2 emissions across its network.
- Royal Mail did not say if it planned to run a similar trial in other areas or if it will deploy the scheme permanently. But apparently, it picked Manchester for the test as the city will launch its Clean Air Zone next year, with daily van charges coming in 2023.
“Our software made it possible for Royal Mail to help reduce carbon emissions and congestion in city centres. As we enter the busiest and most magical time of year for parcels, we are delighted to see the results of this trial prove the value of delivery on foot and the effectiveness of Ford’s software in making city centres cleaner, greener and safer.”Tom Thompson, Founder, Last Mile Delivery at Ford Mobility
Royal Mail Quote
“Ford’s software enabled Royal Mail to reduce van usage and mileage in the trial area, whilst still offering a prompt and reliable parcel delivery service. At Royal Mail, we are continuously looking at opportunities to reduce our emissions, alongside delivering convenience to our customers.”Achim Dunnwald, Chief Operating Officer, at Royal Mail
The full Royal Mail press release about this trial is available here.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.