Royal Mail Recommended Last Posting Dates for Christmas Delivery (2022) – Revised on 5 December
Royal Mail has published its recommended last posting dates for parcels and letters to arrive by Christmas this year (before December 25, 2022).
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
Unfortunately, this year, the national Royal Mail worker strike action has added an additional dimension of uncertainty about the timely delivery of posted items.
And there does not seem to be much hope for a solution soon as the union has rejected Royal Mail’s “Best and Final Offer.”
Therefore, unless there is an unexpected breakthrough in labor talks, Royal Mail’s 115,000 unionized workers are expected to walk out on:
- Thursday, December 1
- Friday, December 9
- Sunday, December 11
- Wednesday, December 14
- Thursday, December 15
- Friday, December 23
- Saturday, Christmas Eve, December 24
On these strike days, Royal Mail says it will prioritize deliveries of Special Delivery, Tracked 24 parcels, COVID test kits, and medical prescriptions.
However, letters (unless Special Delivery) will not be delivered, which could impact last-minute Christmas card or gift card deliveries, for example.
Therefore, senders should allow plenty of time for posting, especially for international deliveries.
“We recommend you post as early as possible to ensure your Christmas letters and parcels reach their destination in good time,” Royal Mail warns.
On Monday, 5 December, Royal Mail adjusted its recommended last posting dates to accommodate the anticipated disruption the national strike action will cause to its system.
However, considering other factors, such as weather and the unknown size of backlogs of mail to clear after strike days, it would be wise to pad even these recommended deadlines by a few extra days to ensure timely delivery before Christmas.
Recommended Last Posting Dates for Delivery in the UK (revised)
Wednesday 7 December (was 16 December)
- Royal Mail Bulk Mail Economy
Monday 12 December (was 19 December)
- 2nd Class
- 2nd Class Signed For
- Royal Mail 48
Friday 16 December (was 21 December)
- 1st Class
- 1st Class Signed For
- Royal Mail 24
- Royal Mail Tracked 48
Monday 19 December (was 22 December)
- Royal Mail Tracked 24
Wednesday 21 December (was 23 December)
- Special Delivery Guaranteed
Recommended Last Posting Dates to International Destinations
Last posting dates for sending holiday gifts and letters internationally will vary greatly by destination.
We have included popular destinations in this list that still have deadlines in December, but suggest checking Royal Mail’s website for the latest information.
HM Forces Mail – British Forces Post Office (BFPO)
- Operational and Static HM Forces – Friday 2 December
- Eastern Europe – Saturday 3 December
- USA and Canada – Monday 5 December
- Czech Republic, Finland, Italy, Poland, Sweden – Monday 5 December
- Most other western Europe – Wednesday 7 December
- Belgium, France, Luxembourg – Friday 9 December
International Tracking and Signature Services
- Australia and New Zealand – Thursday 1 December
- China – Friday 2 December
- Africa, Asia, Central and South America, Far and Middle East, Caribbean (except the British Virgin Islands, Dominica and Anguilla) – Monday 5 December
- Cyprus and Malta – Tuesday 6 December
- Greece, Eastern Europe (except Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia) and Turkey – Thursday 8 December
- Czech Republic, Finland, Italy, Poland, Sweden, USA and Canada – Friday 9 December
- Austria, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland – Saturday 10 December
- Belgium, France, Luxembourg – Monday 12 December
Again we cannot emphasize, these are recommended last posting dates, and with the national strike action affecting on-time deliveries, delays are to be expected.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.