As states are continuing to loosen up lockdown orders and more physical retailers are opening up again, online retailers may wonder how much of the COVID-19 shift to online will stick with consumers and what their expectations will be.
The Coronavirus pandemic is significantly changing again the physical retail landscape with stores closing and some retail chains and restaurants even filing bankruptcy. Online sales are profiting from people staying home or avoiding busy stores.
Online shipping platform ShipStation’s research guide provides some interesting data points for digital commerce merchants to ponder beyond COVID-19.
The data in the report discusses the shift in consumer habits from the height of the pandemic to what the future may hold.
For example, shipping delays were acceptable during the COVID-19 crisis, but the survey shows consumers will expect fast delivery and easy returns to become the norm again.
Highlights From ShipStation Ecommerce – Beyond COVID-19 Guide
- 49% of consumers have taken advantage of curbside pick-up options or the ability to buy online and pick up at/in-store during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- 69% of consumers say COVID-19 has made them more likely to support local/independent retailers after seeing how the pandemic has impacted them.
- 55% of consumers are doing more online shopping as a result of COVID-19.
- 68% of consumers agreed that COVID-19 has lowered their expectations about delivery speed.
- 30% of consumers expect brands to offer faster delivery time after the pandemic is over.
- 44% of consumers expect brands to provide free returns.
The eBook in PDF format is available to download at no charge from ShipStation by following this link.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.