UPS Reports Q1 2022 Earnings of $24.4 Billion – Beating Estimates
UPS today announced first-quarter 2022 consolidated revenue of $24.4 billion, a 6.4% increase over the first quarter of 2021.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
Consolidated operating profit was $3.3 billion, up 17.6% compared to the first quarter of 2021, and up 12.1% on an adjusted basis.
Diluted earnings per share were $3.03 for the quarter; adjusted diluted earnings per share of $3.05 were 10.1% above the same period in 2021.
For the first quarter of 2022, GAAP results include a net charge of $19 million, or $0.02 per diluted share, comprised of after-tax transformation and other charges of $43 million offset by an after-tax gain of $24 million resulting from the curtailment of benefits in a Canadian retirement plan.
“I want to thank all UPSers for their outstanding efforts during a challenging first quarter to serve the needs of our customers. The agility of our network and the continued execution of our strategy delivered another quarter of strong financial performance, putting us on our way to achieving our 2022 consolidated financial targets.”Carol Tomé, UPS chief executive officer
US Domestic Segment
- Revenue grew 8.0%, driven by a 9.5% increase in revenue per piece.
- Operating margin was 11.0%; adjusted operating margin was 11.3%.
- Revenue increased 5.8%, driven by a 10.5% increase in revenue per piece.
- Operating margin was 22.9%; adjusted operating margin was 23.0%.
Supply Chain Solutions
- Revenue increased 2.0%, led by Forwarding, which grew $517 million, or 25%.
- Operating margin was 10.8%; adjusted operating margin was 11.0%.
UPS 2022 Outlook
The company provides guidance on an adjusted (non-GAAP) basis because it is not possible to predict or provide a reconciliation reflecting the impact of future pension mark-to-market adjustments or other unanticipated events, which would be included in reported (GAAP) results and could be material.
For 2022, UPS reaffirms its full-year financial targets:
- Consolidated revenue of about $102 billion
- Consolidated adjusted operating margin of approximately 13.7%
- Adjusted return on invested capital above 30%
- Capital expenditures of 5.4% of revenue, or approximately $5.5 billion
- Dividend payments, subject to board approval, of about $5.2 billion
Finally, UPS is announcing its plans to double the amount of share repurchases for 2022, taking the target to $2 billion for the year.
For full details on the UPS first-quarter earnings report, please visit the UPS investor relations site here.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Editorial Note: This post is from a Company Press Release and may have been modified for clarity.