USPS is Closed Today in Observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day – January 18, 2021
Martin Luther King’s Birthday is a federal holiday observed on the third Monday in January to honor and reflect on the legacy of the influential civil rights leader. This year, the holiday falls on Monday, January 18, 2021 and is sometimes also referred to as MLK Day. King’s actual birthday is January 15.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
On this day, most government offices, banks, and some businesses are closed. The United States Postal Service observes the holiday as well with most facilities and services not operating today.
What is closed today or not operational today at USPS?
- No counter operations at retail post offices around the country.
- No regular mail delivery.
- No regular mail pick-up.
- No mail pickup from USPS mailboxes.
- No USPS phone customer service.
What is open or operational today at USPS?
- Access PO Boxes at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Use self-service machines at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Priority Mail Express may be delivered. Restrictions and conditions apply, check tracking.
- Online USPS Ship-N-Click is fully functional.
- Inside and outside USPS mailboxes are open 24/7 – but outside boxes could become very full at busy post office locations.
Tips for Sellers
Federal holidays when USPS is closed are always a bit tricky for sellers because many buyers don’t think about them as “holidays” as retailers and most private companies are open. Here are some tips on how to deal with shipments today.
- Process USPS shipments as usual, but a good practice is to notify buyers that today is a Postal Holiday and there are no postal operations today. Buyers will still get a tracking number, but by notifying them of the holiday they won’t expect to see any movement scans until Tuesday.
- For urgent shipments, consider using UPS and FedEx, as both carriers operate today. For sellers who need to drop off package(s), both carriers have an extensive nationwide store network.
- Also, UPS and FedEx have small package drop boxes, and agreements with many independent national retailers, private shipping centers, and mailbox stores. Check their websites for more details.
- The Sendle shipping service which is becoming popular among some marketplace sellers mostly relies on the USPS to deliver packages in the US.
- If using USPS Scan Forms, the best practice is to close out the day as usual. Some shipping platforms may not allow this or they may allow rolling over today’s shipments to the next business day. Check with them for details.
- Avoid using outside USPS mailboxes (the blue boxes) at busy post office locations as they could become very full.
- eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, PayPal and other platforms that offer USPS shipping services will all process USPS labels today. However, most of them will not inform buyers that today is a holiday. See the suggestion above for USPS shipments.
Additional Federal / USPS Holidays in 2021
Looking forward to this year, here is a list of the remaining federal and postal holidays in 2021.
- Monday, February 15 – Presidents’ Day
- Monday, May 31 – Memorial Day
- Monday, July 5 (observed)* – Independence Day
- Monday, September 6 – Labor Day
- Monday, October 11 – Columbus Day
- Thursday, November 11 – Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 25 – Thanksgiving Day
- Saturday, December 25* – Christmas Day
* July 4, 2021 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Sunday. Monday, July 5, will be treated as a federal holiday.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.