USPS has suspended international mail services to Sudan citing transportation is unavailable until further notice, effective May 19, 2023, due to the civil war that broke out in April.
Check Out These Resources
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Take a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits. [sponsored]
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- Could your online business use capital for growth? Here is a primer on revenue-based loans, and how they work.
The service suspension affects the following mail classes:
- Priority Mail Express International (PMEI)
- Priority Mail International (PMI)
- First Class Mail International (FCMI)
- First-Class Package International Service (FCPIS)
- International Priority Airmail (IPA)
- M-Bag items
Global Express Guarantee (GXG) is supposedly not affected by this suspension, yet it’s unclear how GXG shipments make it into Sudan, as there is no commercial or cargo airfreight into the country due to the hostilities.
The Postal Service advises that International Service Center (ISC) employees will endorse the items as “Mail Service Suspended – Return to Sender” and then place them in the mail stream for return.
In addition, US Postal Service retail locations will not accept affected mail services. If shippers deposit packages in a mailbox, drop off packages at retail locations that have collection areas for parcels, or if they are picked up by a postal carrier, USPS will return the item to the shipper.
USPS Returns and Refunds
Shippers are eligible for refunds. See this information from the USPS website.
Returns may take a few days and tracking may become erratic when this happens.
Please check our USPS status of international services page for more up-to-date Postal Service interruptions worldwide.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.