Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States honoring US military personnel who have died while serving in the United States armed forces.
It is observed on the last Monday of May and at 3:00 pm local time, Americans are asked to take part in the National Moment of Remembrance to pause for a duration of one minute to remember those who have died in military service to the United States.
On Memorial Day, most government offices, the United States Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, and other carriers/delivery companies, banks, and many non-retail businesses are closed.
What is closed today or not operational today at USPS?
- No counter operations at retail post offices around the country.
- No regular mail delivery.
- No regular mail pick-up.
- No mail pickup from USPS mailboxes.
- No USPS phone customer service.
What is open or operational today at USPS?
- Access PO Boxes at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Use self-service machines at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Priority Mail Express may be delivered. Restrictions and conditions apply, check tracking.
- Online USPS Ship-N-Click is fully functional.
- Inside and outside USPS mailboxes are open 24/7 – but outside boxes could become very full at busy post office locations.
UPS and FedEx
- UPS and FedEx do not have any shipping open offices or will be making pickups or deliveries today.
- UPS Stores are generally closed today.
- FedEx Office locations are generally open today.
- Some independently owned shipping centers or drop-off locations may accept UPS and FedEx shipments today.
- Some critical shipping services may be available today. Here are links to UPS and FedEx holiday operations.
Tips for Sellers on Memorial Day
Sellers that ship internationally should inform buyers that today is a major US holiday as they may wonder why their orders were not processed.
For sellers that want to go ahead with fulfillment, eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, PayPal, and other platforms that offer shipping services will all process USPS, UPS, FedEx labels today.
However, most of them will not inform buyers that today is a US holiday and sellers that process shipments today should email buyers that their orders will not actually ship until tomorrow.
Additional Federal / USPS Holidays in 2022
Looking forward to this year, here is a list of the remaining federal and postal holidays in 2022.
- Monday, June 20* – Juneteenth National Independence Day
- Monday, July 4 – Independence Day
- Monday, September 5 – Labor Day
- Monday, October 10 – Columbus Day
- Friday, November 11 – Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 24 – Thanksgiving Day
- Monday, December 26 (observed)** – Christmas Day
* New federal holiday added last year that will be first observed this year by USPS.
** December 25, 2022 (Christmas Day), falls on a Sunday. Monday, December 26, will be treated as a federal holiday.
Here is a more complete list of all major holidays and other important dates for eCommerce in 2022.
If you liked this article and would like to engage with other small business entrepreneurs selling on marketplaces, join our . You can also find us on , , , and or sign up for our newsletter below.
SIGN UP. BE INSPIRED. GROW YOUR BUSINESS.
We do not sell your information. You can unsubscribe at any time.