Walmart Shortens Automatic Order Cancellation Window to 4 Days
In an email sent to current Walmart marketplace sellers, the company said it will be shortening its automatic cancellation window from 6 days to 4 days. This new policy will go into effect on June 6, 2023.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
The automatic cancellation window begins after the Estimated Ship Date (ESD) and sellers will need to provide a tracking number for their customer no later than 4 days after the ESD.
If an order is not shipped or tracking has not been updated after the 4th day of the ESD, the order will be automatically cancelled, and it will negatively impact a seller’s Cancellation Rate Performance metric, the email warned.
Avoid Automatic Cancellation by Walmart
To avoid being caught out by this new policy, Walmart suggests:
- Sellers update orders as soon as they have handed off the package(s) to the carrier
- If an item is unavailable, sellers should immediately cancel the order before the ESD
- In the event sellers miss the ESD, they are encouraged to upgrade the shipping by opting for a faster service, which will aid in ensuring that the order arrives within the estimated delivery time
This new policy applies to self-fulfilled orders.
One way to avoid this problem altogether is to enroll in Walmart Fulfillment Services (WFS), which offers fast order fulfillment and avoids delays and poor customer service experiences.
For sellers who do not wish to join WFS, they can avoid auto-cancellations using Walmart’s Performance Alarms, which tracks order status and can send notifications to sellers to avoid cancellation and refunds.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.