WooCommerce, the most popular eCommerce integration for WordPress, has released an update that also includes GDPR compliance tools.
The new tools included in the update are:
- User data export, erasure, and anonymization tools.
- Settings for enabling automatic data cleanup or removal.
- New Customizer settings for checkout fields and policy notices on the Checkout page.
- Tweaks to logging to ensure personal data does not get logged.
The GeoLite geolocation database has also been updated to the latest version GeoLite2.
While this should not impact most users, but the GeoLite2 integration requires a minimum PHP version of 5.4. Check with the hosting company if you are unsure about which PHP version your installation is running.
As a necessary step, WooCommerce will not support geolocation using GeoLite2 on PHP versions less than 5.4.
However, as a fall back, WooCommerce will still offer geolocation services on installations that run older version of PHP. In those cases, Woo will use APIs, but that is a far slower process and speed today is important for a successful shopping experience.
For more details on WooCommerce’s approach to GDPR compliance, here is a blog post on their developer section.
READ MORE: GDPR And The Effects on eCommerce
Few More non-GDPR Updates in Latest Version
- A multisite dashboard widget that shows order information from across all sites.
- Wildcard email support for coupon restrictions. Using the wildcard character you can set up coupons restricted to groups of similar email addresses (.edu email accounts, corporate email accounts from a certain business, etc.).
- Users can now set their display name on the My Account page.
- Improvements to the admin product search, including the ability to search for multiple products in the same query.
WooCommerce 3.4 is a minor release, which means it should be fully backwards compatible with all WooCommerce releases since 3.0. However, as always, it’s still considered best practice, and recommended, to backup before updating.
For more information on how to update WooCommerce, click here.
Do you use WooCommerce and have you updated to the newest version that includes GDPR tools? Head over to our Facebook Discussion Group or use the comments section below.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter Today
Stay in touch with the business insights for your online business
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime
Connect With Us And Other Small Business Owners
Please head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.