eBay has launched eBay Vault which is a 31,000 square foot, 24/7 secured, temperature-controlled facility and digital marketplace for collectors.
Check Out These Resources
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Take a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits. [sponsored]
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- Could your online business use capital for growth? Here is a primer on revenue-based loans, and how they work.
Originally unveiled during the company’s investor day in March, the eBay Vault will first be available for single, graded trading cards with a value of $750 or more.
eBay says the vault is the latest in a series of significant innovations that the company has introduced to its enthusiasts, bringing together physical and digital capabilities that makes collecting more advanced than ever.
The eBay Vault enables users to manage their collections effectively and efficiently also allowing for fractional ownership of alternative assets with a trusted online marketplace.
Every transaction involving the eBay Vault is backed by the eBay Authenticity Guarantee.
“eBay is the only marketplace that has more than two decades of deep collectibles category expertise.”Dawn Block, VP Collectibles, Electronics and Home at eBay
“As we continue to see exponential growth in the category as enthusiasts merge their passions with investment opportunities, the eBay vault is a critical offering that will let collectors streamline and securely store their portfolio of assets. It’s truly the future of collecting,” added Block.
Today, eBay buyers can easily identify trading cards that are already stored in the eBay Vault via the vault badge in the listing. Prospective buyers browsing eligible cards not already housed in the eBay Vault will have the ability to opt-in when completing their purchase.
eBay vault eligibility requires assets to have been bought for $750+ in the US, purchased directly on eBay, and graded by top graders in the category, including:
- Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA)
- Sportscard Guaranty Corporation (SGC)
- Certified Collectibles Group’s affiliates
- CGC Trading Cards
- Certified Sports Guaranty (CSG)
- Beckett Grading Services (BGS).
Storing items in the eBay Vault will allow for “instant sales” with ownership transferring from seller to buyer in a matter of seconds, and no need to re-authenticate or ship the item.
This is crucial for enthusiasts and investors who are buying and selling coveted cards in real-time and also improves the liquidity of the asset.
The company’s Price Guide and Collections tool are natively built-in, enabling eBay Vault users to monitor the real-time market valuation changes of their portfolios, and list items directly from their Collection.
eBay’s extensive data catalog provides a comprehensive view of a collection’s past and present value, offering assessment, evaluation, and tracking capabilities.
By 2023, eBay expects to expand the program to include additional collectibles categories and luxury goods. Within a few years, the company anticipates the vault will hold up to $3 Billion in assets, making it one of the largest stores of non-governmental assets in the world.
eBay Vault – How It Works
Here is how eBay explained the new eBay Vault works with eligible trading cards.
- When a service-eligible purchase is made, the buyer instantly becomes the owner once the card passes authentication, and can choose to keep their card stored in the eBay vault or withdraw.
- To continue storage, ownership transfers from seller to buyer in a matter of seconds and there’s no need to re-authenticate or ship the item anywhere. There is no time limit for storing in the eBay Vault as it’s designed for long-term, secure storage.
- Cards destined for the eBay Vault are required to go through its Authenticity Guarantee, at no cost. If a buyer opts to send their purchase to the eBay Vault, the seller will first ship the card to be inspected by independent authentication experts.
- For withdrawal, the company’s dedicated eBay Vault team will meticulously package the card and ship it to the buyer via tracked shipping.
Coming soon will also be the option for collectors to send cards directly to the eBay Vault. eBay will take high-quality photos of the front and back of the card, and document all the details making it possible for collectors to list the card on the marketplace straight from the vault.
With the launch of the eBay Vault, the company is delivering a new experience on its marketplace – offering benefits like instant transfer, authentication, insurance, fractional ownership, affordable shipping and a tax-free storage location.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.