USPS Reveals Rates on Its New USPS Ground Advantage Service – Effective July 9
First announced last year, but then delayed, The United States Postal Service (USPS) has unveiled its proposed pricing for its new product service product called USPS Ground Advantage.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- Boost your social media engagement with Publer. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster with AI. [sponsored]
- eBay to compete with sellers now!
- New stamp prices and fee increases are coming from USPS on July 9.
- SMALL BUSINESS WEEK SPECIAL: Three tips for SMB ecommerce success in 2023.
USPS Ground Advantage will combine USPS Retail Ground, First-Class Package, and Parcel Select Ground services (as well as returns options such as First-Class Package Return service and Ground Returns) into a single, streamlined ground shipping service.
This service, which aims to offer a straightforward, dependable, and cost-effective solution for shipping packages weighing up to 70 lbs within two-to-five business days, is expected to launch on July 9, subject to final approval by the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC).
A key benefit is that USPS Ground Advantage is set to bring down published prices by 1.4% compared to the current rates of Parcel Select Ground and First-Class Package Service.
Retail prices for USPS Ground Advantage will experience a more substantial reduction of 3.2%, while commercial published prices will decrease by 0.7%.
In the past year, the Postal Service has emphasized improving its shipping offerings, which is part of its decade-long Delivering for America Plan aimed at boosting service quality, timely delivery, and revenue growth through enhanced package delivery services.
With a vast network of over 31,000 Post Offices, multiple pickup options, including free package pickup, and no extra charges for fuel or residential delivery, USPS aims to deliver unparalleled value and convenience to its customers.
The consolidated USPS Ground Advantage service will feature:
- Package delivery in 2 to 5 business days.
- Tiered pricing for shipments under 16 oz, rounded at 4 oz, 8 oz, 12 oz, and 15.999 oz.
- Pay for postage using stamps, a self-service kiosk, Click-N-Ship service, or at a Post Office location.
- Free $100 insurance for both retail and commercial customers on all USPS Ground Advantage outbound and return parcels. Shippers may purchase additional insurance for up to $5,000.
- Also included are package forwarding and return-to-sender endorsements for all USPS Ground Advantage shipments.
- Tracking is included on all shipments.
- HAZMAT option only available for ground shipments.
- And, shippers can schedule free package pickup from their home or business on the carrier’s route.
USPS Ground Advantage
While the PRC will still be reviewing the proposed pricing by the Postal Service, shippers can learn more about how this service may help their business:
- USPS Ground Advantage Landing Page (Basic Overview).
- Postal Explorer Proposed Price Files.
- PRC Docket CP2023-151.
The introduction of USPS Ground Advantage is poised to simplify package shipping with the Postal Service by consolidating the confusing array of ground services that currently exist.
This significant overhaul of its ground mailing services means that USPS will now provide three main services for packages: Express Service (primarily overnight within the U.S.), Priority Mail Service (usually 2 to 3 days), and Ground Service (typically 2 to 5 days).
Although USPS aims to provide comparable services to private courier companies like UPS and FedEx, only its Express Service will continue to offer a service money-back guarantee. For the other services, delivery times will remain estimated, with no delivery time guarantee.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We do not sell your information.
You can unsubscribe at any time.
Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Marketplace Sellers and interact with us and other small business owners. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.