USPS has notified the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) that it intends to delay the implementation of the Non-Standard Fees and Dimension Noncompliance fees until April 3, 2022.
These fees were included in the November request by USPS to the PRC outlining its planned rate adjustments on many parcel services for 2022.
The fees USPS now wants to delay by about three months are meant to cover the following situations:
- Missing or Incorrect Dimensions – USPS proposes a new $1.50 fee on Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, and Parcel Select services that are greater than one cubic foot or with a length longer than 22″ if the shipper did not provide dimensions or if the dimensions are incorrect in the electronic manifest file.
- New Series of Nonstandard Fees – USPS proposes new fees that would apply to Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, Parcel Select, First Class Package Service, and USPS Retail Ground for manual sorting when the dimensions of the package exceed sortation requirements. New fees are:
- Package Length over 22″ – $4.00
- Package Length over 30″ – $15.00
- Package over 2 cu. ft. – $15.00
USPS Delay to Help Industry Adjust
USPS said the delay was to give industry partners additional time to plan and adjust for these changes.
All other USPS postage rate adjustments under review by the PRC remain the same. With a proposed effective date of January 9, 2022 for the new rates, there is very little time left for USPS to make any more changes to its rate adjustment proposal to the PRC.
Under PRC rules, USPS has to give at least 30 days’ notice of any changes to its proposal. With little time left, the PRC is expected to complete its review of the Postal Service’s requested price adjustments for 2022 very soon.
Connect With Us And Other Small Business Owners
Please head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.